$26,000 in Cash to Charities
The Lakewood Ranch Women’s Club presented their donation of $26,000 in cash and over $15,000 in-kind to their adopted charities at their annual General Meeting on Thursday, January 12, 2023, held at LWR Townhall.
The LWRWC charitable donations marked the culmination of a successful year of charity fundraising including
- “Brunch, Bingo, and Bags” chaired by Pam Szabo;
- “LWRWC 25th Birthday Charity Fundraiser,” chaired by Monika Templeman;
- “Holiday Market” cochaired by Linda Stone and Diane Laybourn.
In kind donations included
- Birthday and Celebration Bags for children and residents at HOPE’s domestic violence shelter and donations to the HOPE Chest Thrift Store;
- supplies, gift cards, and a Barn Drive for SMART;
- a Charity Art Sale with LWR Art League for CGF;
- linens donations for Solve, and handmade baby blankets and quilts made by the LWRWC Blankets 4 Babies Committee. To date, B4B has donated over 579 blankets to charity.
The meeting featured presentations from each charity, including
- Peggy Kerwin, CEO of SOLVE Maternity Homes;
- Rebecca Blitz, CEO and volunteer certified riding instructors, Candi Russell, and Ilee Finocchiaro, from of Sarasota Manatee Association of Riding Therapy (SMART);
- Svetlana Ivashchenko, CEO of Children’s Guardian Fund;
- Kayla Terrel, HOPE’s Director of Development (on behalf of HOPE CEO, Char Young) and Deanna, a courageous, successful survivor of domestic abuse.
LWRWC 2022 President, Carol Belmont and 2023 President, Ann Sledz, thanked the charities for doing so much to help those in need in the community and the charity directors collectively thanked LWRWC for being “an army of angels!”
To date, LWRWC donated over $500,000 to their adopted charities. In 2022, LWRWC celebrated 25 years of charitable giving and was an Honoree at the AFP 37th Annual National Philanthropy Day Celebration on 11/8/22. “Fun, Friendship, and Community Service” is more than just the Women’s Club motto.